For over 25 years, the West Michigan Dental Foundation Tuition Grant Committee, in cooperation with several dental organizations, awards Tuition Grants to qualified students presently pursuing careers in dentistry, dental assisting and dental hygiene who have an interest in working in West Michigan. Each year the Tuition Grant Committee determines the grant recipients through an application and interview process. Grants range from $500 to $5,000 for applicants based on need. Grant monies are made possible by gifts from the West Michigan District Dental Society, West Michigan Dental Foundation, Kent County Dental Society and Grand Rapids Dental Hygienists’ Society.
The grant awards are based on the applicant’s financial need, academic credentials, and the committee interview. There is no obligation to repay these grants. It is the desire of the WMDF that the student will become a supportive member of the Foundation and the West Michigan dental community.
The following criteria apply:
- The applicant must be a resident of or originally from one of the following West Michigan counties: Kent, Ionia, Mecosta, Montcalm or Ottawa.
- The applicant must be enrolled in a comprehensive dental program accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on dental accreditation. Each must be a full time student in a campus-based program.
- Dental students must have completed their first year of dental school prior to making application and they are ineligible if they are in their final year of dental school. Dental graduate students may apply for a tuition grant except in their final year of graduate school.
- Dental hygiene students must have completed their first semester of actual dental hygiene classes prior to making application. Hygiene students are ineligible if they are in their final year of hygiene school.
- Dental assisting students must have completed their first semester of dental assisting courses prior to making application.
- The WMDF Tuition Grant is an award that may be received only one time per student.